Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Addicted

One month off social media...

Well, all but snapchat.

I think I was addicted. FB, Twitter, Instagram; although fun, I may have been a little social media addicted. I can't complain; it keeps me in touch with family & friends; it's a place where people can share ideas; a place where people can express themselves; it's a place I can compile my thoughts...

Although all of the above are fun & wonderful, I've seen a darker and ugly side of it. Sadly, I've taken part in it: the FB stalking, the people bashing, the bullying, the show offs...

I'll be back to social media, but it can be hard & draining. Taking a break is good. I've become reflective; in a way unlike times before. I'm learning about myself, I've had more quiet time (which can be scary for me sometimes, I can get lost in my thoughts), I've focused more on my career as a teacher & as a student, and more indescribable beautiful and strange things have happened while away from it all. I'm reading more, learning more, and thinking more.

Life is hard with unexpected bumps, dips, ditches, & deep dark holes that seem inescapable. I think social media can help, but it really hurts too. Let's think before we speak/type, don't add to messiness of it all, let's help each other. I don't expect us all to get together and sing kumbaya (sp?) around a camp fire, but let's do what we can.

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment